Fresh-Off-The-Cob Corn Chowder

Summer is not typically the time to try a new soup recipe...
but one that involves delicious fresh corn in season is another matter. 
My favorite Vt farmstead, Smokey House Center in Danby.
I am so glad that the cooking group (Cook the Book Fridays) selected this
one -so I didn't miss out on the phenomenal flavor from the ripe corn.
We opted out of the fennel recommendation so this ended up a bacon,
 potato and corn soup. Along with various seasonings. What's not to love ?
Eat well, be well.

This soup is a keeper and I will be putting it through its paces in the
cold weather, likely with my favorite Trader Joes frozen corn, as well.
Since the cobs from fresh corn are used to flavor the soup and then
 removed, I know that out of season there will be a difference in flavor
 (plus texture) so all the more reason to make soup in the summer.
Cobs and bay leaves after serving their duty.
Delicious !
                                                                                                   
This post follows my progress cooking each recipe from
Dorie Greenspan's "Everyday Dorie" along with those participating 
in the online group www.CookTheBookFridays.Wordpress.com 
We do not publish recipes as policy but instead encourage folks 
to buy the book and join in the fun. 
A favorite stand near home in PA. 






Comments

  1. I just LOVE your photos!!! So adorable.

    This was a really good recipe, and you're right, about the only reason to make soup in the heat of the summer - that farm-fresh corn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos indeed! I agree as well that this will be a great soup, though different, in the winter. It was so filling for us that it'd be well worth cooking it again and sacrificing some flavor and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great chowder recipe and really delicious. Hopefully I will be making this again soon while there is still fresh corn around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really put the fresh summer corns in the right context — against the farm stands in the countryside. This chowder is a keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photos! And your chowder looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, this was pretty good. Lucky you to have truly farm fresh produce near.
    *Emily

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's early Sunday morning and your Vermont farm stand photos are making me smile. Is this the same market where the corn sign says, "Feel 'em, don't peel 'em." Whoops. I'm a peeler. Never again. This was a delicious soup, I thought, although a bit labor intensive. This winter, when I have a bit more time (summer is hectic, right?), I'm also going to try Trader Joe's frozen roasted corn (with all the add-ins.) Don't you just love these market days?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos! I love farm stands! Sounds like your chowder was a combination of ingredients from your favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the farm stand....wish we had more of those here in Southern California!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts