Maple Syrup & Mustard Brussels Sprouts

And Bacon. Don't forget the bacon.


This week's recipe for our cooking group involves brussels sprouts 
and many of my favorite ingredients - mustard, shallots, bacon, garlic 
and maple syrup.  Since I have long been a fan of brussels sprouts, 
I knew I would love the results before I even started.  
But I am happy to confirm my suspicions. 
When the dish was still healthy...veggies in the steamer.

We visit Vermont frequently and I have a stash of very special (to me)
 local maple syrup and thick cob smoked bacon I source from there. 
(If you're up in the Killington/Okemo area skiing, you'll want to take a detour 
to the "Wallingford Meat Locker" for their delicious smoked meats - kielbasa, 
bacon, you name it. My mother and I secured many a AMFT ingredient from
 this spot as we cooked through the last book - great memories !)

 Doris's recipe has us combining the mustard with the maple syrup to create 
a glaze that finishes off the dish. And what a finish.  It was a delicious new twist. 
And one that I will be trying on many other foods. 

A bit more sinful, but worth it. Maple & mustard glazed sprouts. 

This dish is low maintenance enough for a weeknight but special 
enough to add to our Thanksgiving menu. My kind of recipe. 

This blog shares my adventures with the "www.CookTheBookFridays.wordpress.com" community as we work our way through Dorie Greenspan's EVERYDAY DORIE. We do not publish recipes but encourage others to buy the book and join the fun ~ all are welcome !

Comments

  1. How wonderful that you have a favorite maple syrup to make your dish special. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I giggled at the concept of a "Meat Locker".
    I agree this is a very versatile glaze. The maple/mustard combo must be delicious with salmon .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to jump in when I saw you all were making Brussels sprouts! Of course I had to eat them all myself, but it was a delicious sacrifice! Lucky you with all the special ingredients!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that 'when still healthy ' picture! Awesome to be on another culinary adventure with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love this dish! Jealous of your local maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes! once I get my hands on more maple syrup I'll have to try this dish again. Who would've thought with my massive bottle of maple syrup I would only have enough for 2 tablespoons left! next time, next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so nice to have some favourite places to pick up ingredients. I enjoy going out to the Fraser Valley for the same reason. I also love Brussels sprouts and recipes that you can dress up or down, too. I've made these twice so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird that I'm coming up as "unknown" - it's Teresa from One Wet Foot. :)

      Delete
  8. Weren't these awesome? And I'm so envious of your specialty bacon - though this was so good that my pedestrian ingredients made me a fan!! I may just have to swap out my original choice for these sprouts on Thanksgiving too!! Look sooooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just zoned in on the name of your blog. I LOVE IT. Only you could come up with something like that, very clever, cute and funny. I also enjoyed reading your write-up about the Sprouts. Like you, I am a fan. Although I only made 1/2 the recipe, I ate them all myself. The last few I just stood at the kitchen counter , pulled the leftovers our of the fridge , plucked and savored each one straight from the Tupperware. Another good recipe from Ms. Dorie

    ReplyDelete
  10. So special that you can use Vermont syrup and bacon. Yum! This might be on our Thanksgiving table too. I just picked up more Brussels sprouts today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree - this was a treat. Major treat. hey look delicisous
    Oscar's Meathouse - Warrensburg is the home of some of my favorite cured meat nibbles. Just saying - I think its worth a trip sometime when you are meandering along the NY/ VT border.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts