Roasted Squash Hummus & Potato Chowder

The first post of the New Year already involves a make up recipe - 
Roasted Squash Hummus
Not sure whether I should be alarmed that I am entering the year and 
the new book behind ...or pleased that I made it up right away. 
Glass half full, I am claiming a victory.  
How lucky am I that my Mom shared her stash of Za'atar and Pomegranate Molasses- thx Mom !!
I am also claiming one on this "dip" as it was a pleasant change 
for our munching options. While I'll likely stick to traditional chickpea 
hummus (even more likely, buy it in the large tub at Costco !) we
 did enjoy the new flavors of this recipe. 
The best part was that it reminded me to use acorn squash WAY more
 often than I have been.  Roasting and broiling it put the flavors over the 
top and I plan to do a plain mash of this again ASAP.
And now that "Potato Chowder Lots of Ways" recipe.  
Wow. 
Such a simple and forgiving recipe with so many options, resulting in such a
 delicious and comforting January meal. Dories explains that the recipe offers 
many possibilities and basically provides the framework to get you
 a safely delicious base that you can add various seasonal components too. 
My options addressing the January clean out of our freezer and I 
literally threw in a half bag of Trader Joe's frozen organic sweet corn
 plus some chopped up frozen sausage.  
A rare occurrence, I was actually out of bacon (suggestion from Dorie) 
but the sausage provided a fabulous flavor/fat component against the
 potatoes and leeks. I was also set to add cream at the end but when I tested 
the soup I loved it the way it turned out. Not broke don't fix. 
Hubby was a huge fan and kept saying he couldn't believe it wasn't difficult
 to make. Next time I don't think I will show my hand on the ease factor.....
Happy New Year !

Comments

  1. Adding the corn must have added extra veggie sweetness to the soup! Looks delicious! Happy 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I can't wait to make this again with corn in it! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The squash hummus really was delicious! I could not find that za'atar anywhere near me and I even attempted to try Amazon! Your soup looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, we need to keep some secrets in the kitchen- haha. your soup looks great and i love that this can be a way to use up all those lingering bits in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't make this chowder fast enough. It's one of the best and most adaptable. It's time to make another batch. Love the way you plate the hummus and the chowder. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glass half full - you caught up and are on track!
    Glad you're back in the game. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Trader Joes frozen corn:) We always have some in the freezer. Wish I had thought to add it to my soup. I'm with you on humus, why make it when its so good premed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right that the soup looks more complicated than it actually is. And, yes, next time, keep that to yourself. I wasn't a squash hummus fan but I went nuts over Dorie's chowder to make up for that. Everything about it worked for me. Like you, I found some TJ's peas in my freezer and three them in. It did add a little color. And, sausage looked good. I did add the cream which made it rich and delicious and more "chowdery." I think there were only two of us that added cream - those calories are devils, I admit. Anyway, welcome and whatever you can do , I (and, we) are thrilled to have you cooking with us again. It's been like a Mother/Daughter break-up since Cook the Book Friday's began.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts