Pasta with Shrimp, Squash, Lemon and Lots of Herbs

 A new twist to a pasta dish for sure. Rotelle pun intended.
This dish includes so much lemon I could not believe it. 
Although Dorie included the word right into the title I did not realize
 the level of LEMON until I read through the recipe. You begin by 
zesting three lemons and that zest in placed in the pasta bowl while 
you prepare the rest of the dish. That mound of zest already had 
 wondering how this was going to play out. 
 The fruits are then juiced to get about a 1/2 cup of fresh juice which
 becomes part of the sauce, along with pasta water. And the kicker 
for me was that we then add the residual lemon rinds (post juicing) 
into the pot of pasta water as it comes to a boil, flavoring the pasta
 even more. Full disclosure: I love lemons and I love pasta, but I would 
never have combined them if not for this dish. 
The result ? 
It was a fun and unique play on a weeknight meal. I enjoyed my meal, 
adding crushed red pepper to add a bit of heat. While I will likely not
 replicate this exactly, this dish did inspire me to change up my 
traditional Italian based pasta routine. Since my mother tried the recipe
before me (some things never change) and used the multi-colored
pasta with great results - I opted for the same. Again, I wondered why I
 don't do this more often. As usual, trying one of Dorie's recipes was
 a fun and inspiring activity.

This post follows my progress cooking each recipe from
Dorie Greenspan's "Everyday Dorie" along with those participating 
in the online group www.CookTheBookFridays.Wordpress.com 
We do not publish recipes as policy but instead encourage folks 
to buy the book and join in the fun.

Comments

  1. Multi coloured pasta is a lovely addition to this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am already definitely changing up my pasta (rigatoni) for your multi-colored corkscrews. Certainly makes for a prettier presentation. (Thanks, Ro, for the original suggestion.) I can't ever have too much lemon so was quite happy that every bit of it was used in its own way. Loved this. Hope your holidays were wonderful. Glad to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use multi-color pasta but they usually turn dull after cooking. I like how yours retains the bright color and adds to the general appeal of the dish. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be great in the summer time, or even as a pasta salad. Cheznana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your rotelle pun. I was uneasy about the lemony-ness (is that word?) when I saw the pile of zest in the bowl, but that's what ended up making this so delicious. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts