Three-Pepper Burgers

I never say no to a burger. Fries either, for that matter. 
Luckily Nana doesn't either so we prepared this one 
together and my hubby joined us for dinner.
And while this recipe sounds like something you'd find on your local 
brewpub's menu (right along with the popular truffle fries...) there's 
more to this technique than the name reveals. The ratio of peppers to 
meat is high, in a delicious way.And the sharp cheddar is used in a 
hearty amount, shredded right into the mix and cooked within the patty.
We were unable to find Peppadew peppers at the local store so my hubby 
filled them in with red Santa Rosa peppers. These had a bit more bite than I 
planned on adding but since we all enjoy spicy food it was fine. The roasted 
red peppers were exchanged for pickled peppers Mom recently made 
(were it not COVID we likely would have gotten peppers and 
roasted them). Our third pepper was the jalapeno Dorie suggested.
Our recent Croquembouche adventure- folks asked to see a picture. Fun & delicious !

For the flavors to truly meld, Dorie suggests placing the patties in the fridge for 
30 minutes or so. I was also game for the timing/technique Dorie suggests
 for cooking the burgers. This involved putting them into a hot heavy pan and 
not moving them for 4 mins. I know if I was doing my usual recipe I'd have 
been tempted to flip them (and lower the heat) but I went with it. After the 4 
minute mark I gave them 2 and 1/2 minutes on the other side and had no 
difficulty flipping them. They smelled and looked amazing. I was very 
pleased to see the sear that the patties ended up with per these instructions.
The garden has been stunning this year.

This post follows my progress cooking each recipe from
Dorie Greenspan's "Everyday Dorie" along with those participating 
in the online group www.CookTheBookFridays.Wordpress.com 
We do not publish recipes as policy but instead encourage folks 
to buy the book and join in the fun.

Comments

  1. Your comment about finding these on a brewpub menu was spot on...as is your plating of the meal! Great job! We loved these too. I found the peppers online and my husband and son loved them. They will get eaten in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about finding these on a brewpub menu was spot on...as is your plating of the meal! Great job! We loved these too. I found the peppers online and my husband and son loved them. They will get eaten in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, that's a good-looking burger, but OMG Croquembouche!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had a burger for a long time. If I am in the mood for one, I want one just like yours, juicy and crusty. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Croquembouche is about perfect. And that's whipped creme, isn't it. A perfect presentation. I liked everything about the burger. French fries are the perfect side but I didn't have any on hand. I did have a beer., the perfect drink-of-choice for this burger. Glad the three of you are having the opportunity to sit down for dinner together these days. Beautiful rose. Unfortunately we had two days of snow, wind and below-zero nights last week. Although I had protective weather covering on them, my hanging begonia plant and flower boxes of herbs are still trying to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Burgers and fries are a must in our house too. Love the baking adventure with the croquembouche.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your plating is spot on!! I loved this if it did fall apart a bit...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts