Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Admittedly, I've never met a chocolate chip I didn't like.  
This recipe was no exception.
Dorie added a delicious "tweak" to a classic by having us
include rolled oats.  She also suggested the option of adding
 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.  That sounded like great company
for the oats... but I wasn't sure if my family would love
it - so I split the difference and added 1/4 teaspoon.  
I shopped for ingredients before reading through the entire recipe
and as a result, I bought my standard bag of chocolate chip morsels.
Had I read the full recipe I would have known that while chips will
do the trick - using a block of the chocolate and chopping it into
irregular pieces and adding those in...along with the little chocolate
"dust" scraps are the preferred method. They melt better.
Lesson learned.
My hubby went nuts for these, as expected.  My younger
son was visiting and said they were the best chocolate chips
he's ever had - and he's not a big dessert fan.  He really
liked the texture of the oats addition and said
the cinnamon was a nice addition. Yup. It's a keeper.      
                                                                                    

This post follows my progress cooking each recipe from
Dorie Greenspan's "Everyday Dorie" along with those participating 
in the online group www.CookTheBookFridays.Wordpress.com 
We do not publish recipes as policy but instead encourage folks 
to buy the book and join in the fun.




Comments

  1. These were so good weren't they. I'm loving seeing how different everyone's cookies look - same dough but look like different recipe! These ARE a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed these cookies, not too sweet either. Yours look fabulous. Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree that adding the rolled oats is a delicious tweak. I followed the recipe to a T and it worked well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally getting to my comments on the chocolate chip cookies. Yours look so much prettier than mine. I cooked them when they were half-way frozen from a mound of dough. They were "chunks" when they landed on the cookie sheets, thus the rather strange forms. I need to make them again and conform to the rules! Think I will follow Shirley's plan and follow the recipe to a T. With Dorie, that always works. The next time I will leave the cinnamon out. I like cinnamon but in the Fall it belongs in applesauce, not chocolate chip cookies right now. I am so glad you are baking and cooking along and on Instagram so I can keep up with you. Wish I were heading East or you were heading West. Life comes at us fast (my favorite phrase these days). Miss getting together and seeing everyone.. I hope things are good with your family. Any international adventures planned. Frankly, just staying in the States has gotten to be an adventure of its own making!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts