Chai-Tea Bars

Technically, Dorie named this recipe "Chocolate-Covered Chai-Tea Bars", 
but the chocolate glazing was optional. This is likely the only time I have ever 
opted out of chocolate lol, but I really wanted to try this interesting flavor 
combo on its own. Or with a little confectioner's sugar....
I was surprised to find that we had the ingredients on hand, as we
continue to try to cook what's in the pantry. I actually had the almond
flour in the fridge and several bags of chai tea to play with. 
The rest of the ingredients were pantry staples although 
we could not locate ginger in it's dried form (I'm still at Nana's house and
 forgot to grab my own) ...but of course Nana had fresh ginger I subbed in and 
zested along with the orange rind. It's also been fun to use all of Nana's great
 baking equipment - she had a perfect and beautiful 8" square baking pan 
from King Arthur Flour. LOVE their items.
When trying new recipes I enjoy a subtle riff on an old standard in addition to
 trying as well as a completely new dishes and flavors, but this combo was
an adventure that had me in complete suspense until I tasted it. 
Even after seeing the gorgeous photo of Dorie's finished product in
"Everyday Dorie" I could not figure out what this would taste like. 
I tried to get my head around opening the tea bags and putting them into
 the warm melted butter, and then was distracted wondering however
this concept came into Dorie's head lol. 

#PureGenius

The fact that it was a rainy day when I prepared these only made the delicious
 aroma all the more enticing. The entire house was filled with a citrusy-
gingerbread smell that was irresistible. The taste did not disappoint.  
I loved the slice sizes that Dorie suggested for these thin cakey-bars 
(cutting the cake into 16 slim pieces) although I independently decided
that 4 of said slices should equal one actual serving :)
We also got a positive review from my resident taste-tester, Nana.

I will absolutely be repeating this adventure
 of a recipe, including the powdered sugar coating,
which was a lovely addition.

Stay well and stay cooking !

This post follows my progress cooking each recipe from
Dorie Greenspan's "Everyday Dorie" along with those participating 
in the online group www.CookTheBookFridays.Wordpress.com 
We do not publish recipes as policy but instead encourage folks 
to buy the book and join in the fun.

Comments

  1. These do look good! I don't like chai flavour but willing to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These bars, your pictures, the smell and the way you describe how it all comes together put a smile on my face. Thanks Tricia for these wonderful images and words. ~ Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, they sound so good! i've thought many times about making this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound delicious but I don't have any chai tea so will have to wait a while. It is so nice to borrow nice cooking equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a tea drinker so didn't know there was anything like chai spice tea but the flavors you suggested, citrusy and gingerbread , were all I needed to hear. I like the way they are cut and presented also. It's fun to work in someone else's fully stocked and well equipped kitchen, isn't it? When I was in quarantine, my friend's kitchen is luxurious and she had more food in her two fridges, freezers and pantry than I have ever seen in one household in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you...don’t think I have ever opted out of an optional chocolate feature haha! I am not a tea drinker so I have no reference for what these will taste like, but you sell them well! I am curious to try them! 😃

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts